I perused the situation in there.....had a look at a number of different projects on the go. Several quilts ready to be quilted, but I didn't feel like getting the table cleared and set up for quilting. One project on the design wall, which is arguing with me so I didn't want to tackle that one. Some dolls I could finish. Some mending to do. Some hand stitching to do. And amongst all these started projects I couldn't find anything I wanted to do so I started something new! Well....it's better than retail therapy isn't it?
So I decided on a journal page. 8 1/2 x 11 for size. I've had an idea percolating at the back of my mind after seeing all the eclectic funky houses in my Mum & Dad's neighborhood (see my post of March 2, 2011). I thought why not do a small version of it and see how it works. Well....it wasn't long before I was buried in scraps and having scads of fun with my machine.
I had a piece of fabric that I scrunched up, dampened and painted with Liquitex Inks. The experiment was to see how much differently/the same it worked like fabric paint. Here are some photos of the results. It seems it worked very much like fabric paint in this method.
This piece seemed like a good choice for the background as I wanted to portray bright sunny skies but with lots of snow and ice on the ground. I used it so that the darker green areas got covered and the white/pink/light blue areas showed. It has a little bit of Liquitex pearlescent medium in parts, and I hoped that would be the sparkle off the snow.
Next to the houses. I used only scraps and most of them in the shape they were already, just trimming here and there. These were glued down on the background with a bit of UHU glue stick (I'm not a fan of fusing). From there I proceeded to stitch the pieces down with satin stitch. It wasn't long before I was trying out the variety of stitches my little machine offers as embellishment. Here are the results so far. I should iron things before I photograph them!
I have another piece of fabric done while I was playing around with the Liquitex Inks. This one was a "mono print". The inks, thickened a bit with the opalescent medium, were painted onto a big ceramic tile. When I was pleased with the arrangement of the colors, I put a dry piece of pfd cotton on it and rolled it with a little brayer. It was left sitting there for about 5 minutes and then lifted. Here is what came of that experiment:
I plan to cut this piece and use the brownish red piece on the bottom to add a "sidewalk" to the bottom of my little "cityscape", and then will quilt the little journal page. When that's done, I will do a bit of hand embellishing with beads and buttons and whatever else I can find. All in all, great fun on a rainy day!