An article in Britain’s Embroidery Guild magazine, “Stitch”, http://www.embroiderersguild.com/stitch/
When separating these “carrier rods”, it isn’t unusual to find bits and pieces of stuff other than silk. I found two little brown bits, that made the silk in that area a color just a shade earthier than the surrounding silk, and I think there was one piece that was a silk worm! However, they are hard and dried and just fall out as you separate the layers. I tried to capitalize on those spots, but two of them got lost in the inking!
Here is a photo of the soaked and separated layers. They are still wet here.
From here I laid them out on wax paper on top of paper towel, laying the strips horizontally and overlapping so that the gummy residue could glue them back together. Another layer of wax paper was placed on top of the wet layers and more paper towel, and then it was pressed with a dry iron.
And here is a picture of the project after laying out the strips, pressing it dry, peeling it off the wax paper, and painting water diluted Liquitex ink onto the surface with a paintbrush. See the inks here: http://www.ctpub.com/productdetails.cfm?PC=1987 The ink worked very well but I was not too happy with this sample, although it did stick together the best of the two:
But this one I painted while it was wet, and then pressed it almost dry in the same layered arrangement as the first one. I think this one has potential for embellishment and mounting on a quilted background. You can see that some layers didn't bond, but I think hand stitching with embroidery floss will fix that problem and add another design element. I can’t wait to get to that.
I hadn't worked with Silk Carrier Rods in any capacity other than an already colored item that made an excellent embellishment. I have a number of items that I’ve done with Liquitex inks now, and they all worked well. I recommend the product highly. Now I need to get busy and put them together into pieces of art! What a lovely way to spend the day.